The fifth anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death and a struggling justice system

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jasmine Williams, New Media and Promotions Editor

Five years have passed since the fifth anniversary of an unarmed black teen, Trayvon Martin. Martin was killed by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch coordinator, on February 26, 2012 in Florida. The tragedy was allegedly sparked when Zimmerman “profiled” Martin because he was wearing a hoodie and looked “suspicious”.

Protests and outrage broke out when Zimmerman was found not guilty. I can remember watching CNN and hearing the correspondents discuss the facts of the case. And then they would flash a picture of Trayvon’s face on the screen. It did not matter to me what he was suspected of doing; the only thing I could focus on was how his life was taken from him.

Martin’s death sparked a series of movements, all aimed at bring about change in the criminal justice system and the treatment of blacks within the system. The best known movement Black Lives Matter (BLM).

Yet it appears we have a long way to go, and that racial profiling and police brutality still exist in America. A 2016 study conducted by criminal justice researchers from the Univ. of Louisville and the Univ. of South Carolina found that “the police exhibit shooter bias by falsely perceiving blacks to be a greater threat than non-blacks to their safety.”

Teens often feel powerless and question how they can create social change in America. One way is to have open dialogue about what is happening within communities. Hearing others’ opinions can be one of best ways to spark change. Another way to try and make a positive change within the system is to get the attention of lawmakers. Making a phone call or writing a letter to your representatives in Congress can help convince them that change is necessary.

Trayvon’s death was a tragedy, but his legacy and the fight for change will go on.

1 Comment

One Response to “The fifth anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death and a struggling justice system”

1. Smithd482 on March 10th, 2017 7:31 am

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute &amp help other users like its helped me. Good job. edfbgecdcaaeegga

• The fifth anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death and a struggling justice system

As Seen in Newsprint

Riveters victorious in District Championships

Experiencing French culture

Mercy senior’s journey on the field

Sweepstakes kicks off to good start

Videos

How to make peanut butter pie

Honoring Mercy girls into NHS

Marlins of Mercy

Marlins of Mercy: Sarah Cassidy

Elton John biopic ‘Rocketman’ debuts in May

Varsity tennis scrimmages with Walled Lake Northern

Lifestyle

Marlins of Mercy: Claire Garner