Movie review: Black Panther

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie review: Black Panther

Black Panther has been out for less than three weeks and has already surpassed the income of The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and Spiderman: Homecoming (2017). Photo: Marvel/Walt Disney pictures taken from Forbes.com

Abbey Roegner, Junior Staff Reporter

No matter what kind of movie you prefer, whether it be romance, action, drama or mystery, Black Panther undoubtedly has something to interest anyone. It holds in its hands the key to the doors of an incredible saga of superhero movies that break down the walls of superhero movies of the past, present and future.

The film has drawn audiences into theaters all across the world, amassing over $476 million within the first two weeks. That fact is no surprise, considering the number of iconic actors/actresses featured and the exciting and attention-grabbing music accompanying the incredible action shots of the film.

The story follows the path of a man named T’Challa, the prince of the fictional foreign African country of Wakanda. On the surface, Wakanda is a third world country trapped in poverty. However, the people of Wakanda have a secret. Within their land, they hold the largest supply of vibranium, the most powerful element in the Marvel Comics universe.

After the death of his father, T’Challa prepares to become king of Wakanda. However, the peaceful ways of his people are quickly put in immense danger when a thief with an ally inside the Wakandan border steals a significant amount of vibranium and T’Challa has no choice but to defend his country and his people.

To uphold Wakanda’s secret and to protect his people, T’Challa must team up with his military general (played by Danai Gurira), a humanitarian and human rights activist (Lupita Nyong’o), his genus kid sister (Letitia Wright) and a CIA agent (Martin Freeman). The film also stars celebrities with impressive backgrounds in acting such as Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Danai Gurira, Andy Serkis and Sterling K. Brown.

The heroes of the film are coupled nicely with the antagonists of the film, including award winning actors Daniel Kaluuya and Michael B. Jordan. Each of these actors bring new elements into the movie that result in both convincing and intimidating roles.

The plot holds dozens of twists and turns that morph the storyline into one that is utterly unforgettable. Directed by Ryan Coogler, the film’s use of action shots, close ups and alternative camera angles brings out the fun-loving and attention-grabbing nature of the movie. The importance of tradition in African countries is also highlighted within the plot of this film, as shown by the difficult decisions T’Challa has to make throughout the film in its entirety.

All in all, Black Panther excites and invites audiences from all over the world to come and enjoy this two-hour action-packed thrill ride. It has all the components of a box office powerhouse like an amazing soundtrack and killer special effects with an outstanding cast. So, whenever you can, grab a few friends and treat yourself to this spectacular cinematic experience.