First fiesta of the year

Back to Article
Back to Article

First fiesta of the year

Juniors Frannie Lauck (left) and Jenny Jaramillo (right), members of SHH, gather in the Media Center to view the film Coco at the first fiesta of the school year.
Photo by Carrie Jefferson

Juniors Frannie Lauck (left) and Jenny Jaramillo (right), members of SHH, gather in the Media Center to view the film Coco at the first fiesta of the school year. Photo by Carrie Jefferson

Carrie Jefferson, Staff Writer

The Spanish Honor Society, or as they say in Spanish, La Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (SHH), had their first fiesta of the school year on October 16. Members of the society gathered to watch the Disney-animated movie Coco, but all in Spanish. Snacks and drinks were provided as the girls viewed the touching film about Day of the Dead, a Mexican holiday celebrated to remember deceased members of one’s family. This is just one fiesta that takes place during the year. Other events in the coming months will include restaurant trips and a Christmas fiesta.

The girls who take part in this society share a common trait– interest in learning and experiencing a different culture.

“I love Spanish and I knew it was a fun and creative way to learn about the world,” said junior SHH member Grace Fadool.

The society meets four times throughout the school year on Language Honor Society meeting days, along with the added-in restaurant trips and fiestas.

“I’m super excited to be involved,” said Fadool. “Spanish Honor Society is a great opportunity to really enrich yourself with the culture.”