Mock Trial’s year of success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mock Trial’s year of success

The Mock Trial team celebrates their first place victory at the Oakland County Circut Court. (Photo taken with permission from: Sara Yono)

Sabrina Yono, Junior Staff Reporter

“The key to mock trial is confidence,” said Mercy High Mock Trial coach Morgan Schut. “If you don’t have it, fake it until you make it.”

This is the motto the Mercy Mock Trial team lives by. Even if they feel anxious and unprepared, they put their game faces on. Being in a courtroom setting can feel very intimidating, but a polished presentation is the key to success.

“The jury will only believe what you are saying if you believe in yourself,” said sophomore Faith Dallo.

With only four returning members on the team, it is crucial that they adopted this concept quickly. The coaches were faced with a challenge because six out of the 10 girls on the team had no experience in a courtroom setting. While other schools were preparing for the actual case, Mercy coaches had to start from scratch and teach the girls the rules of Mock Trial.

“The girls really surprised us,” said Mock Trial assistant coach Raj Prasad. “We didn’t have many expectations, but this is the best team we’ve had in years.”

The team won first place in the regional district competition, making it to states for the first time in three years. Members said the key to their success was the strong bond they had with each other. In an intimidating courtroom atmosphere, it is important that they could trust and rely on each other.

“I am so thankful for this team,” said Dallo . “I met some amazing girls and discovered what I want to do when I am older.”