Marlins– fight strong, stay strong


In an earlier season match against Marian, the Mercy Marlins finished the game in a tie (Susan Hiser).

The varsity field hockey team played an intense game against their rival, Marian High School on Oct. 10 at Madonna University for the Catholic League semi-finals. The winner of this game would move on to the Catholic League finals against the Academy of Sacred Heart.

Prior to the game, Marian did not have school due to Brother Rice’s field day. The Marian varsity field hockey team spent their afternoon at Madonna University practicing and warming up for the big game. Mercy varsity field hockey arrived at the field after school, giving them less than 30 minutes to warm up. In the beginning of the game, Mercy was mainly on defense; Marian controlled the plays.

Senior Captain Maddy Flyte commented that “if Mercy had more time to warm up like Marian, we would have been less panicked and more relaxed to focus on the important game we were about to play in.” Flyte admitted that Marian controlled the first few minutes of the game because the Marlins didn’t have their minds set on field hockey yet.

Halfway through the first half, an offsides penalty was called on a Marian defender. This call resulted in a penalty stroke. Senior Captain Brooke Ottaway stepped up to take the penalty shot. This fired up the Mercy team because they know there was a great possibly of a goal. Ottaway tried to slot the ball into the middle-left corner of the goal, as she did many times before. The Marian goalie dove on the ground and blocked the shot. Although Ottaway did not get the goal, Flyte believes the shot was the turning point in the game for Mercy.

“Once Brooke took the stroke, our team realized that we had a great chance in winning this game, which changed our mindset, and made us more focused,” said Flyte. She said in the first few minutes after the penalty stroke, the Marlins stepped up their game, ran their hardest, and passed the ball by communicating with each other on the field.

Throughout the rest of the game, both Mercy athletes and Marian athletes played their best. The ball moved back and forth quickly and evenly between both halves of the field. However,  neither team could get the ball in the back of the net due to great defense and goalkeeping. The game ended with a score of 0-0.  To break the tie, each team played with seven players in a 10 minute sudden victory. This meant  the game would end as soon as the first goal was scored. Mercy Head Coach Butch Babler put his best seven players on the field. These players included: Brooke Ottaway, Kristen Hiser, Allia McDowell, Mikaylah Gard, Sarah Posa, Julia Henderson, and Hannah Cohen. After the coin toss, Marian won possession of the ball to begin overtime. In the first few minutes of extended play, Marian senior Alexa Melstrom took an impressive shot on Hannah Cohen, the Mercy goalie, slotting the ball into the back of the Mercy net, ending the game. This made the final score a 1-0 victory for the Marian Mustangs and sent Marian to the Catholic League finals.

“Mercy truly played their hearts out,” said Ottaway. “Each player took what Coach said and put it to work, leaving everything on the field.”

Although they did not come out on top, the Marlins played their strongest game of the season and fought hard.

“I have no complaints,” said Babler.  Mercy varsity field hockey will continue their season in the state playoffs and will plan to keep fighting as a strong cohesive team.