Amen to take ten at ten

Back to Article
Back to Article

Amen to take ten at ten

The bible and candle centred in the circle of chairs. The candle is lit in the beginning of prayer and the bible often gets passed around if students would like to read. 
Photo by Hailey Kallabat

The bible and candle centred in the circle of chairs. The candle is lit in the beginning of prayer and the bible often gets passed around if students would like to read. Photo by Hailey Kallabat

Hailey Kallabat, Staff Writer

Rewinding back to Mr. Curt Klueg’s high school years, Mr. Klueg can remember not being very religious. He would often dodge opportunities he got to build a closer relationship with God. It was not until Mr. Klueg went to college that he was surrounded by a Catholic community and took a moral issues class that he started valuing and spending time with God.

“If I were to tell my high school self why I should go to Take 10,” said Mr. Klueg, “I would say that there is value in grounding yourself. It’s more about a broader realistic health.”

Inspired by his past high school experience and his turning point at college, Mr. Klueg has brought “Take 10 at 10” to Mercy High School. This is a new form of daily prayer beginning at 10 a.m. if the student’s third hour permits. The prayer session is just 10 minutes, considering the full schedule Mercy students have.

“The idea of Take 10 Was to make it approachable,” said Mr. Klueg. “With it being 10 minutes, it will not consume your whole hour off.”

Many students have been taking advantage of “Take 10 at 10” during their third hour if they are unscheduled. Within the last few months, according to Mr. Klueg’s data, the average amount of participants per session is about 8.

At Take 10 at 10, chairs are positioned in a circle surrounding the Bible and candles. Passages from the Bible are read aloud while students listen. According to Mr. Klueg, Day 5  and Day 2 are some of the most popular days students attend Take 10.

“I would go again,” said sophomore Grace Nieto. “It’s kind of like a stress reliever. It calms me down.”

This form of prayer gives students a quick opportunity to relax and find God, which is exactly its intention.  

“It gave me time to reflect,” said sophomore Kaity Hamzey. “It was a calming and spiritual experience.”

Mr. Klueg says the time spent grounding yourself and talking to God does not matter. Whether 10 minutes or an hour, it is the little things that help a person grow with God. He hopes that Take 10 becomes a regular form of prayer to many Mercy girls. “It is easy for high school students to get caught up in the anxieties of their day,” said Mr. Klueg. “I think that can be one of the moral values of those 10 minutes.”