Sooch swings for the Super Team

Sophomore Mia Sooch (left) smiles with her victory medal and plaque for making the All-Tournament team for the Traverse City Central Lober Golf Classic, next to senior Marissa Lobbia (middle), and sophomore Sophie Vanderwheele (right). Photo Credit: Mia Sooch

Livvy Hintz, Staff Reporter

Mia Sooch, a sophomore MVG teammate, accomplished incredible achievements in her golf career this past fall. Sooch conquered and won the Catholic League Championship and the Regional Championship — while being an underclassman. She advanced to state finals for the second year in a row, and has a goal of being on Michigan’s Girls Golf All-State Super Team, which consists of the top eight high school golfers in the state.

“There is no better feeling than winning,” Sooch said, “because you know your hard work is paying off. Winning those top two events made me really happy, not to say I wasn’t surprised!”

While Sooch only recently completed her second year on the team, she is taking her future golf career into consideration.

“The goal is to get an athletic scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC),” Sooch said.

Although Sooch is a competitive, driven golfer, her favorite part about MVG is the friendships she has created with her fellow teammates.

“Mia Sooch is always there to put a smile on my face throughout the golf season,” said Zoe Fish, a junior on the Mercy Varsity Golf team (MVG). “She’s not only an amazing player, but also a great friend.”

Sooch made the matches’ All-Tournament team in every event she played in, always shooting in the 70s.

“I think what’s special about Mia and our team is how we never yell or bring others down after a bad round,” Kowalski said. “Mia pulls for the team. They pull for each other.”

Mrs. Kowalski said Sooch is likely to remain a team leader. “She’s really going to step into that role and lead the team to victory.”