Pulsera Project

Spanish+Honors+Society%E2%80%99s+Pulsera+Project+fundraiser+offered+hundreds+of+bracelets+for+students+to+purchase+for+only+%245.+The+proceeds+went+towards+improving+Central+American+communities+and+supporting+pulsera+artists.%0APhoto+by+Colleen+Thomson+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Pulsera Project

Spanish Honors Society’s Pulsera Project fundraiser offered hundreds of bracelets for students to purchase for only $5. The proceeds went towards improving Central American communities and supporting pulsera artists.
Photo by Colleen Thomson

Spanish Honors Society’s Pulsera Project fundraiser offered hundreds of bracelets for students to purchase for only $5. The proceeds went towards improving Central American communities and supporting pulsera artists. Photo by Colleen Thomson

Colleen Thomson, Associate Editor-in-Chief

Bracelets from the Pulsera Project were sold for $5 apiece at this year’s Spanish Honors Society (SHH) fundraiser. The fundraiser was a huge success as 234 bracelets were sold, raising more than $1,150 for the Pulsera Project.

According to its website, the Pulsera Project “is a nonprofit organization that educates, empowers, and connects Central American artists with students in more than 2,500 U.S. schools through the sale of colorful hand-woven bracelets, or “pulseras” in Spanish.”

The Pulsera Project has three main areas: employment, education, and impact, according to the website. About 200 artists from Central America make pulseras and purses by hand. Then, a couple hundred of the pulseras are sent to participating schools across the U.S., where they are sold for $5. This promotes education about the Latin American culture in U.S. schools by teaching students about the lives of pulsera artists.

SHH holds a pulsera sale every other year. SHH members, like junior Asha Telang, enjoy participating in this sale because they know it is for a good cause.

“The Pulsera Project is an important organization to donate to because it supports communities and people in Central America with everything from jobs to housing to medical relief,” she said.