The magic of Mo Pop

+In+the+blistering+July+heat%2C+thousands+of+people+attended+the+2018+festival+to+enjoy+artists+such+as+Daniel+Caesar+and+Vince+Staples.+%0APhoto+used+with+permission+from+Mia+Lollo
Back to Article
Back to Article

The magic of Mo Pop

In the blistering July heat, thousands of people attended the 2018 festival to enjoy artists such as Daniel Caesar and Vince Staples. 
Photo used with permission from Mia Lollo

In the blistering July heat, thousands of people attended the 2018 festival to enjoy artists such as Daniel Caesar and Vince Staples. Photo used with permission from Mia Lollo

Mary McGreevy, Staff Writer

The annual Detroit music festival, Mo Pop, is returning to West Riverfront Park this summer. The two-day music festival features up-and-coming artists who perform along the beautiful Detroit riverfront. This year’s lineup has just been announced and the hype is just beginning.

Headlining the festival this July are: Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Ella Mai, Kali Uchis, and Lizzo. Typically attracting young people, Mo Pop often gives promising artists more popularity and brings visitors to Detroit for the weekend. Last year, Billie Eilish and Portugal The Man were among several artists who have since gained more of a following after performing at Mo Pop.

“[Last year,] the most memorable part for me was seeing Rex Orange County, one of my favorite artists ever, second row,” said junior Mia Lollo who attended Mo Pop last year. “It was surreal to be singing all my favorite songs with my friends and the crowd.”

Not only is it a weekend of music, but there are also several activities to do there. Festival goers can rent bikes, play darts, go to dance parties, eat at food trucks, do crafts, and many other things.

“Waiting in the hot sun for the artists for hours got super exhausting, but there were activities and different things to do everywhere you looked,” said Lollo. “There was something interesting always going on.”

Twenty-two artists will perform this year on July 28 and 29 and weekend and single day passes have already gone on sale. Lollo and other Mercy girls already plan on attending the festival to enjoy the music and the fun atmosphere.

“It was one of the best weekends of my life,” Lollo said. “I plan on going this year for at least one day!”